Home | Bridges | Inventory | Snapshots
All photos by Rex Eagle. Please do not reuse without permission. Rex writes: "...Another bridge built by the Falkland Island Company in 1934. It is 12 feet wide and over 600 feet in length. Designed for both sheep and vehicle traffic. It is a wooden bridge on reinforced concrete piles. An interesting point is that the railings on the side came from the SS Great Britain, a very famous ship (the largest ship in the world when it was built in 1843, also first to be constructed of wrought iron, and first ocean going screw propelled ship) that ended up in the Falkland Islands as a hulk. In 1970 it was recovered, and returned to Bristol where it was built. It is now been restored, and is a major tourist attraction in the city. During the 1982 Falklands War, the Argentines blew up the southern end of the bridge. It was repaired after the war. The bridge is now only used by occasional foot traffic and is falling into disrepair as can be seen in the photos."